Arundel State School offers a new specialised Physical Education (PE) program, Sport Science & Performance (SSP) to select Year 6 students. Sport Science and Performance is a unique school based program that aims to develop fitness and performance in games and pursuits both on & off the field.
The program runs for 2 hours per week and session are conducted at Arundel State School outside curriculum time (one lunch hours and one hour before school)
Aims of Sport Science and Performance Program
- Provide the opportunity for students to improve specific fitness components and develop team performance in games and pursuits in a specialised Physical Education Program.
- Provide a supportive and appropriate training environment for the practice and application of activities
- Include select Year 6 students with high physical capabilities and fitness together in a specialised Physical Education program.
- Provide practice, performance, discussion and reflection time in a 2 hour weekly program.
- Initiate and build connections with high performance sporting and educational facilities within the area.
The program is offered to suitable year 6 students who demonstrate high behaviour standards and their Semester 2 report indicates high levels of effort, sound achievement standards in literacy and numeracy and high achievement levels in PE.
Selection includes attending an introductory session, completing a student application form, attending an interview and participating in fitness testing.
Each term focusses on a specific fitness component that relates to an invasion sports and supported with discussion on health and personal sport development issues. An example of the program is below:
Students also participate in external community programs to further experience sport expertise by high performance coaches.
Parents and students are welcome to attend the introductory session in the new year to view the year’s program and ask questions.
This is a very popular course among students.
- Students in year 4 & 5 who are interested in SSP in Year 6 should be encouraged to ensure they demonstrate the following in order to be invited to trial:
- Wear the correct Arundel uniform and school hat.
- Follow the school rules and do the right thing all the time;
- Be on time, prepared for learning.
- Be respectful, demonstrate initiative and show interest in your own learning
- Work towards a high standard of behaviour and effort, achieve a C or better in literacy and numeracy and high standard in PE.