Arundel State School offers a specialised Physical Education (PE) program, Sport Science & Performance (SSP) to select Year 6 students. Sport Science and Performance is a unique school-based program that aims to develop fitness and performance in games and pursuits both on & off the field.
The program runs for 2 hours per week and session are conducted at Arundel State School outside curriculum time (one lunch hours and one hour before school)
Aims of Sport Science and Performance Program
- Provide the opportunity for students to improve specific fitness components and develop team performance in games and pursuits in a specialised Physical Education Program.
- Provide a supportive and appropriate training environment for the practice and application of activities
- Include select Year 6 students with high physical capabilities and fitness together in a specialised Physical Education program.
- Provide practice, performance, discussion and reflection time in a 2 hour weekly program.
- Initiate and build connections with high performance sporting and educational facilities within the area.
The program is offered to suitable year 6 students who demonstrate high behaviour standards and their Semester 2 report indicates high levels of effort, sound achievement standards in literacy and numeracy and high achievement levels in PE.
Selection includes completing a student application form and participating in fitness testing.
Students in year 4 and 5 who are interested in SSP in Year 6 should be encouraged to ensure they demonstrate the following in order to be invited to trial:
- Wear the correct Arundel uniform and school hat.
- Follow the school rules and do the right thing all the time
- Be on time and prepared for learning
- Be respectful, demonstrate initiative and show interest in your own learning
- Work towards a high standard of behaviour and effort, achieve a C or better in literacy and numeracy and high standard in PE
Each term focusses on a specific fitness component that relates to an invasion sports and supported with discussion on health and personal sport development issues. An example of the program is below:
- Aerobic Fitness
- Ultimate frisbee
- Cross Country
Students also participate in external community programs to further experience sport expertise by high performance coaches.
This is a very popular course among students.